Saturday 14 January 2012

Fashionista Meets My Motherland

I read in Vogue Italia’s Black Blog that Solange has visited Rwanda and liked the colourful country. Now to me that is very good news, since I pretty much love and adore her style. So the fact that she finds Rwanda inspiring is just amazing...



Personal Style
Evolving, Bold, Unrefined, Expressive.


Place you call home
Brooklyn.

Must have wardrobe items
Vibrant colours and print fabrics. High waisted silhouettes, statement shoes, easy dresses and Doc Martens for rainy days.

Favourite designers
Marni, DVF, Acne, Opening Ceremony, J.Crew, Boxing Kitten

One item every girl should have ?
"I believe every girl should own a pair of chic and comfortable flats."

What is your definition of style ?
"The canvas of our individuality. An outlet for expression."

Favourite places to shop?
"I do most of my shopping online with Net A Porter, Shopbop, Theoutnet. When I need the in store experience, Opening Ceremony in New York is always fun."

Fashion Icons?
"Diana Ross, Erykah Badu, the Fela Kuti Queens, my uber glam mother, Chaka Khan, Bjork and the girls on the street in my hood."

Most valuable possessions
"My sanity."

Where do you find inspiration?
"Travelling, diving into other cultures face first. The colours everywhere, the colour palette of shotgun houses in New Orleans, spices in Marrakesh, nail polishes on shelf at my favourite nail shop in Brooklyn. I just left Rwanda and have never seen colours used in such natural and spectacular way in my life. I see colour before I see any other element in design."
  
 I love the fact that she always uses a lot of colours and prints it just gives it the right touch and it also makes the simple look a bit edgy...

African prints has been the bomb lately and I do understand why



No comments:

Post a Comment