Wednesday 22 February 2012

Today


My day looked liked this this morning while I was on my way to an English Test. I woke up happy because of the good night and sleep I had...
However, things turned upside down when I got the first part of the test, I realized that I didn't rehearse for it so it didn't go as I wanted it to go.  The second part was manageable, I had to analyse an article with the title  "Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior" and as I was reading it suddenly hit me that every single parent have their own way of raising their children regarding education.


Now we all know how strict the Chinese parents are and  this as a result of Asian kids that pretty much can do everything (and how we envy them).

The article puts it like this:
"When it comes to parenting, the Chinese seem to produce children who display academic excellence, musical mastery and professional success - or so the stereotype goes." 

I understand that the parents are doing their best in able to make the best out their kids, but that doesn't mean that parents have to put a lot of pressure on their children in able to get the perfect kids.

- I know a lot of African parents who are just like this, keep pressuring their child till they are perfect as they can get. But I wonder whether there kids are happy....
Can you be happy if you know that once you mess up you  are worthless in your parents eyes?
 How I see it is that parents should have a healthy relationship to their kids and know that calling their kids for fatty wouldn't get them to loose weight but just ruin their self-esteem and saying that  they are worthless just because they can't solve a math problem doesn't help a thing besides harming the child.
It all about understanding your kids desire and wishes and guiding them, but then again every parent has their own different way when it comes to upbringing their kids and no one should say what's right or wrong, but when is it too much?


- Coming from slightly well educated family I myself have always felt that if I didn't my best I'd be a shame for my family and back in Kenya I started to get grades at the age of 7 or 8 and I would aim for the best just for  to be proud of me. Believe it or not I used to get strait A's but as I got older and we moved to Europe I failed in making them proud with my school work (I went from A's to B's and C's) and today as the young women I'm, I have no idea of what I'm going to do after High School (Shame) but somewhere I know that they are proud of the person I am today and what I've achieved even though I never finished learning piano so I could play Christmas songs for the guests and I dropped my football team just when they getting better. Now if I had some strict parents this wouldn't have happened but I'm glad for my mothers upbringing, mean look what I AM today.

Chinese or not, PARENTS learn to support your kids and never tell them that they are a failure but encourage them to pursue great things in life

"Even "losers" are special in their own special way."

Love C

No comments:

Post a Comment